Here’s an updated look at the Eastern Conference playoff race after last night’s games. Tonight has many games that can further shake up the standings.
Up to and Including Games Played Monday April 22
1. Pittsburgh Penguins (70 points)- Clinched Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference
2. Boston Bruins (59 points)- Clinched Playoff Spot
3. Washington Capitals (59 points)- Southeast Division Leader
4. Montreal Canadiens (59 points)- Clinched Playoff Spot
5. Toronto Maple Leafs (55 points)- Clinched Playoff Sport
6. New York Islanders (53 points)- 3 Games to Play
7. New York Rangers (52 points)- 3 Games to Play
8. Ottawa Senators (52 points)- 3 Games to Play
9. Winnipeg Jets (51 points)- 2 Games to Play (Chasing Capitals for Southeast Division)
Today’s Relevant Games
Winnipeg at Washington 7:00- Be sure to watch this one: The Capitals can clinch the Southeast Division and the #3 seed with a win over the Jets in either regulation or overtime. The Jets can jump ahead of the Capitals with a regulation win.
Montreal at New Jersey 7:00- The Canadiens can jump ahead of the Bruins with a win and a Bruin regulation loss tonight. However, the Bruins will have a game at hand on the Habs regardless of what happens tonight. The Devils are simply playing for pride.
New York Islanders at Carolina 7:00- The Islanders can clinch a playoff berth with a win and a Capitals win. They can also clinch with a Capitals regulation win if they lose in either overtime or a shootout.
Boston at Philadelphia 7:30-Boston is trying hard to hold off the lurking Montreal Canadiens. They currently hold the advantage over the Habs only because they have played one less game. Montreal holds the first tie-breaker (ROW) by one (24-23)
New York Rangers at Florida 7:30- The BlueShirts can clinch a playoff berth with a win and a Capitals regulation win over the Jets.
It should be a fun night in the NHL so be sure to follow the action that gets started at 7:00.