There are a ton of new events to cover from the Devils’ Prospect Camp and also some updates on some Restricted Free Agents that are in need of contracts.
First, the contracts.
The New Jersey Devils announced that they have signed Jacob Josefson to a 1-year, 1-way, $725,000 contract. As much as my heart wanted them to lock up Josefson for 2-3 years, I see this as an understandable move. Jacob has had injury problems lately and hasn’t produced the way the Devils would’ve hoped so now he has signed an obvious “now-or-never” contract as this is likely his last chance. Next year, Josefson will be a Restricted Free Agent once again.
Multiple sources have reported that Adam Henrique is “close” to signing a deal. Whether or not he signs for the long-term remains to be seen but at least a 4-year contract is expected (by me at least). Hopefully tomorrow Lou will drop a bomb and make multiple announcements including Henrique’s new contract.
Despite Lou confirming that G Keith Kinkaid will be locked up soon, nothing is official yet on the Restricted Free Agent. Maybe tomorrow will be the day Lou announces a contract. Mike Hoeffel has already been officially signed but the details on his contract are also unknown at this moment. Also, the Devils have multiple restricted and unrestricted free agents in the farm system so announcements could be coming about those players too.
Now onto Day 4 of Prospects Camp.
The Devils held another scrimmage today that began around 2 P.M. EST. Anthony Brodeur and Jake Hildebrand started in net after playing the second period last game. Anthony Brodeur gave up his 5th goal (including 2 shootout goals) during an organized scrimmage this week. Reid Boucher is the one who put the goal past him. Jake Hildebrand would turn away all of the shots he faced in his one period of work for Team Red to maintain a 1-0 lead going into the second.
For the second period, Scott Wedgewood was in goal for Team Red while Brandon Hope was in net for Team White. At 10:45 of the second period, Jon Merril put one past Wedgewood off the right post to tie the game, 1-1. With 6:57 left, Ryan Misiak scored on a puck that went off of Wedgewood’s glove to lead Team White to a 2-1 lead. With 1:01 left, Ben Johnson scored an empty net goal to seal the deal for Team White and they went on to win 3-1.
Right before the game was over, something odd happened. Seth Helgeson (White) and Oleg Yevenko (Red) fought with 7.7 seconds left. Not to worry though, Yevenko asked Helgeson to fight to show off all parts of his game. Yevenko ended up losing but it was a quality fight between the camp’s two tallest skaters.
- New Jersey Devils PR caught up with Artur Gavrus for a quick chat. He is joining Dinamo Minsk, KHL next season after two seasons in the OHL. Watch the video from the Devils official site.
- NJD PR also caught up with Blake Pietila during the beginning of the week and had a chat. Watch the video from the NJD PR YouTube Page.
- Check out DevilsArmyBlog’s in-depth look on Stefan Matteau here.
- Read The Daily Record’s write-up on Mike Ambrosia posted shortly after Tuesday’s scrimmage.
- Hear from Reid Boucher about today’s scrimmage in an article by Eric Martin on the NJD Official Site.
- Hear from Seth Hegelson about today’s scrimmage in which he participated in a fight on the NJD PR YouTube Channel.
- Read about how Scott Wedgewood believes that the Schneider trade doesn’t shut the door on a young goalie in the system. Tom Gulitti provides the scoop.
- Tom Gulitti added to his Fire and Ice blog his take and interviews pertaining to the Yevenko and Hegelson fight. He also mentions more from the scrimmage and also an update on the NHL/Olympic schedules that were delayed again today.